3104 Siebel Center,
201 North Goodwin Avenue,
Urbana, IL 61801
Contact Numbers: (217) 244-6624 – work phone, (217) 244-6869- fax
Email Address: klara AT illinois DOT edu
Group Webpage: http://cairo.cs.illinois.edu
Long Curriculum Vitea:CV.Nahrstedt.2018
Klara Nahrstedt is the Ralph and Catherine Fisher Full Professor at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Computer Science Department, and the Director of Coordinated Science Laboratory at University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. She is the co-author of the textbooks “Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications“, published by Prentice Hall 1995, “Multimedia Systems“, published by Spring Verlag in 2004, and the author of the online book “QoS in Wireless Networks over Unlicensed Spectrum“, published by Morgan & Claypool in 2012.She is the recipient of the Early NSF Career Award in 1996, the Junior Xerox Award in 1998, the IEEE Communication Society Leonard Abraham Award for Research Achievements in 2000, the University Scholar Award in 2008, the Humboldt Research Award in 2009, IEEE Computer Society Technical Achievement Award in 2012, and ACM SIG Multimedia Outstanding Technical Achievement Award in 2014. She was the editor-in-chief of the ACM/Springer Multimedia Systems Journal (2000-2007), associate editor of ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications (2005-2011), associate editor of IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (2012-now), associate editor of IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics & Security, general co-chair of ACM Multimedia 2006, general chair of ACM NOSSDAV 2007, general chair of IEEE PerCom 2009, program co-chair of IEEE IoTDI 2018, general co-chair of ACM/IEEE IoTDI 2019, program co-chair of ACM Multimedia 2019 and Ralph and Catherine Fisher Professor. She was elected to serve as the chair of the ACM SIG Multimedia (2007-2013), and selected as a member of the Computing Research Associations’s Computing Community Consortium (CCC) (2014-2017).
Klara Nahrstedt received her BA in mathematics from Humboldt University, Berlin, in 1984, and M.Sc. degree in numerical analysis from the same university in 1985. She was a research scientist in the Institute for Informatik in Berlin until 1990. In 1995 she received her PhD from the University of Pennsylvania in the Department of Computer and Information Science. She is the ACM Fellow, IEEE Fellow, and the Member of Leopoldina German National Academy of Sciences.
- Communication Networks: Quality of Service(QoS) Support, QoS Routing, Real-Time Protocols, Network Management, Guaranteed Services, QoS in wireless networks.
- Mobile Computing and Communication: Mobility Patterns, Analysis of Mobile Behaviors, peer-to-peer mobile protocols for video traffic, group communication paradigms, mobile patterns in crowds, incentive mechanisms for crowdsourcing.
- Resource Management: QoS-aware Resource Management, Soft-real-time Scheduling, QoS Languages and Translations, QoS-aware Middleware, Energy-Efficient Scheduling, Stream-based Operating Systems.
- Applications: Multimedia Distributed Systems and Applications, 3D Tele-immersion, Mobile Group-based Multimedia Applications
- Tele-immersive Systems: Bandwidth management, View Management, Session Management, Quality of Experience, Synchronization, Open Flow, Software-Defined Networks for Telepresence.
- Security: Multimedia and Internet Security, Quality of Protection, Wireless security in First Responder Systems, Security in Power Grid SCADA networks, Privacy in Mobile Phones.
- Cyber-Physical Systems: Electrical Vehicles (EVs) and Electro-mobility, Key Management Protocols for EVs, Key Management Protocols for Power-Grid Applications, QoS-Aware Resource Allocation in Power-Grid.
- Cloud-based Cyber-Infrastructures for Scientific Instruments: Cyber-Infrastructures for Scientific Data (Material Genomics and Device Fabrication) Acquisition, Storage and Analysis, edge-cloud-based systems for aging scientific instruments;
- Edge-Computing: edge-cloud task placement algorithms; edge computing for aging IoT
- Fall 2018
- CS591KN: Reading Seminar about “Introduction to Quantum Computing for Computer Scientists and Engineers”
- Fall 2012, Fall 2017, Fall 2018
- CS598KN: Advanced Multimedia Systems
- Spring 2013
- CS423: Operating Systems Design
- Spring 2014
- CS414: Multimedia Systems Design
- Fall 2014, Spring 2016
- CS538: Advanced Network Systems
- CS414: Multimedia Systems Design [Spring 2010] [Spring 2009] [Spring 2008], [Spring 2011], [Spring 2012]
- CS425: Distributed Systems [Fall 2009] [Fall 2008]
- CS423: Operating Systems Design [Fall 2007] [Spring 2007] [Fall 2005] [Fall 2011]
- CS241: System Programming [Spring 2007] [Spring 2006]
- CS591FSN: Foundations of Systems and Networking [Spring 2010]
- CS591SN: Systems and Networking Seminar [Spring 2010] [Fall 2009] [Spring 2009] [Fall 2008] [Spring 2008] [Fall 2007] [Spring 2011]
- CS591KN: Seminar on Tele-immersive Systems [Spring 2008] [Fall 2007] [Spring 2007] [Fall 2006] [Fall 2005]