This work is part of the 2K Project.
- Provide a unified QoS management framework, and a programming environment for developing and deploying a component-based applications in different application domains into a distributed component-based environments such as 2K system easily, and systematically.
- Apply the proposed QoS management framework with the multimedia application domain as the proof of concept.
- Try to provide different types of adaptations to maintain the QoS provision with different methodologies corresponding to different events triggering such as the changes of resource requirements, the changes of user’s location or user mobility.
2KQ is proposed as part of the 2K project to provide a QoS management framework for the 2K system. In the first phase of 2KQ, we provided the two-tier run-time 2KQ which consists “QoS-aware service management” and “QoS-aware resource management”. The QoS-aware service management is mainly responsible for service configuration, service reconfiguration (functional adaptations), and dynamic service discovery . The QoS-aware resource management is built based onthe resource-aware QoS management framework, “QualMan”.
Distributed QoS Compiler
Figure 3 represents the compiled result of the distributed QoS compiler. The QoSCSpec is kept in a respository and provided as “ready-to-use” information for the run-time 2KQ during the run-time instantiation.
Software and Documentations
Runtime 2KQ IDLs:
The run-time 2KQ implements the QoS-aware service management, and the QoS-aware resource management.All these stuffs in this part are running only on Unix (Sun) machines.
Distributed QoS Compiler APIs:
The distributed QoS compiler implements the two-phase translations (symbolic QoS configuration translation, and resource translation). We implemented the current version using java. Resource translation is performed distributed based on the interactions among the profiler client in the QoS compiler and the Profiler and SCCoordinator on distributed nodes.
Interactions between Run-Time 2KQ and Distributed QoS Compiler
Released Source Codes:
We are currently add the copy right all the source codes. Hopefully, it should be done at the end of this week (10/15/00).
- Dongyan Xu, Klara Nahrstedt, Arun Viswanathan, Duangdao Wichadakul, QoS and Contention-Aware Multi-Resource Reservation, to appear in Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC-9), Pittsburgh, PA, August 2000.
- Fabio Kon, Roy Campbell, Dennis Mickunas, Klara Nahrstedt, 2K: Distributed Component-Based System, to appear in Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC-9), Pittsburgh, PA, August 2000.
- Dongyan Xu, Duangdao Wichadakul, Klara Nahrstedt, A Resource-Aware Middleware for Active and Configurable Distributed Services, to appear in Proceedings of the 2th NSF Workshop on Active Middleware Services, Pittsburgh, PA, August 2000.
- Klara Nahrstedt, Duangdao Wichadakul, Dongyan Xu, Distributed QoS Compilation and Runtime Instantiation, in Proceedings of IEEE/IFIP International Workshop on QoS 2000(IWQoS2000), Pittsburgh, PA, June, 2000.
- Dongyan Xu, Duangdao Wichadakul, Klara Nahrstedt, Resource-Aware Configuration of Ubiquitous Multimedia Service, to appear in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo 2000(ICME2000), New York, NY, July 31 – August 2, 2000.
- Dongyan Xu, Duangdao Wichadakul, Klara Nahrstedt, Multimedia Service Configuration and Reservation in Heterogeneous Environments, in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS 2000), April 10-13, 2000.
- Dongyan Xu, Klara Nahrstedt, Duangdao Wichadakul, MeGaDiP: A Wide-Area Media Gateway Discovery Protocol, in Proceedings of IEEE International Performance, Computing, and Communications Conference (IPCCC 2000), February 20-22, 2000.
-  Klara Nahrstedt, Hao-hua Chu, Srinivas Narayan, QoS-aware Resource Management for Distributed Multimedia Applications, Journal on High-Speed Networking, Special Issue on Multimedia Networking, IOS Press, Vol. 8, No. 3-4, 1998, pp.227-255.
-  Baochun Li, Klara Nahrstedt, A Control-based Middleware Framework for Quality of Service Adaptations, in IEEE Journal of Selected Areas in Communication, Special Issue on Service Enabling Platforms, 1999, Vol. 17, No. 9, September 1999, pp. 1632-1650.
-  Baochun Li, Agilos: A Middleware Control Architecture for Application-Aware Quality of Service Adaptations, Ph.D. thesis, May 2000.
The 2K project is supported by the National Science Foundation under Grants No. 9870736, 9970139, and EIA 99-72884EQ, and NASA under Grant No. NASA NAG 2-1406.
Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.